Last week, we went on a field trip with my son’s Kindergarten class to the pumpkin patch. We walked on a nature trail, went through a corn maze, and picked a pumpkin.. of course! Ever since the field trip, my children have been talking about pumpkins, pumpkins, and pumpkins. So, we turned our new love of pumpkins into a fun-filled learning activity called The Pumpkin Patch Sight Word Game.
How To Play The Pumpkin Patch Sight Word Game:
- Orange Balloons
- Green Construction Paper
- Stapler or Glue
- Black Sharpie Marker
- Green Ribbon (optional)
- Blow up the orange balloons to look like pumpkins.
- Cut the green construction paper into squares for the pumpkin’s stem.
- Staple or glue the paper squares onto the end of the balloons.
- Staple or glue a green, curly ribbon onto the construction paper. (optional)
- Write your child’s sight words onto the balloon using a black Sharpie marker. Ask your child’s teacher for a list of sight words or use the Dolch Sight Words for your child’s grade level.
Ways To Play The Game:
- Put the balloons on one side of the room and have your children or students stand on the other side of the room. Call out a sight word and have your child run across the room and find the balloon with that sight word written on it. To expand the learning fun, have your child use the word that they picked in a sentence.
- Throw the balloons in the air and have your child catch one. Then, have him or her read the sight word that is written on it.
You can also play the The Pumpkin Patch Sight Word Game to learn shapes, letters, numbers, and math facts for countless hours of fun!