School is back is session, the sun is setting earlier in the evenings, and it is starting to get chilly outside… Summer is coming to an end and Fall is just around the corner! Soon, all of the leaves on the trees will be changing colors. One of the things that we love the most about the fall is all of the fun crafts for kids that we can make.
Today, we read the book Why Do Leaves Change Color? by Betsy Maestro. We learned all about why leaves change color and created The Colorful Fall Leaves Craft For Kids.
- Blue Card Stock or Construction Paper
- Butcher Paper or Brown Paper Bag
- Coffee Filters (3)
- Red, Yellow, and Orange Paint
- Paint Brush
- Cut the butcher paper or brown paper bag into strips. The strips of paper can vary in size.
- Glue one strip of the butcher paper onto the blue card stock or construction paper to create the truck of the tree. Twist the other strips to make the branches and glue them onto the blue paper.
- Paint each coffee filter with one of the paint colors. We used our Homemade Watercolor Paints but you can use any kid-friendly paint.
- After the paint dries, cut the coffee filters in 1 inch by 1 inch squares.
- Wrap one of the coffee filter squares around the top of the pencil and dip it into the glue. Using the pencil, press the coffee filter square down onto the blue paper to create the leaves on the tree.
After the glue dries, you can hang up The Colorful Fall Leaves Craft For Kids for everyone to see and enjoy the colors of the season.