It is way too cold to go outside and play because of the record-breaking, low temperatures. Today, my son put on his mittens and wanted to go outside. It gave me an idea. I filled a bowl full of snow and brought it inside so my children could play. As they were squishing their hands in it, I thought about all of the ways that we could use snow to play.
Winter is the perfect time of the year for indoor activities for kids. Snowball Painting is a fun art project where children use colored snow to paint and create a picture.
- Food Coloring
- Popsicle Sticks or Plastic Spoons
- Paper Plate
1. Gather a bowl of snow
2. Divide the snow into separate bowls depending on how many different colors you want to use. We did three different colors- red, blue, and yellow.
3. Add food coloring to each bowl and mix well till all the snow is colored.
4. Form a snow ball and add a plastic spoon, popsicle stick, or something to hold the snowball so your children’s hands don’t get too cold.
5. Use the colored snowball to paint and create a picture.
As the snowball began to melt, one of my children liked dripping the colored water onto his paper and watching it splatter. I love seeing children use their imagination and discover new things.
Snowball Painting is also a great tactile and visual sensory activity for kids. Children can touch and feel the texture and temperature of the snow. They can also see how the snow melts and “paints” a picture onto piece of paper. When looking for indoor activities for kids during the winter, bring the snow indoors for an afternoon of creativity and discovery.
What is your favorite indoor activity to do with your children during the winter?
This is an activity we’ll be trying as we have lots of snow this winter!