Are your kids fans of Sesame Street? My children love all singing the songs, guessing the letter and number of the day, and all of the characters, of course. So, we made Elmo and Cookie Monster Salt Dough Ornaments for our Christmas tree today. We love to fill our Christmas tree with holiday crafts for kids and homemade ornaments of their favorite characters.
- Salt Dough Ornament Recipe (Click on the link to get the recipe)
- Red Orange, White, Black, and Blue Paint
- Paint Brush
- Mod Podge (optional)
- Make the salt dough ornament recipe. (Click on the link to get the recipe) Before putting the dough into the oven to bake, cut out 2 circles. We pressed a small glass into the dough to create the right size shape.
- Form 2 round balls out of the dough and gently press them onto one of the circles for Cookie Monster’s eyes. Form 2 round balls and an oval and gently press them onto the other circle for Elmo’s eyes and nose.
- After the dough bakes and is completely cooled, paint Cookie Monster’s face blue and the eyes white with black dots. Paint a black half circle for the mouth. Paint Elmo’s face red, nose orange, and eyes white with black dots. Paint a black half circle for the mouth.
- After the paint dries, put a coat of Mod Podge over the ornament. This step is optional but it helps protect the ornament and keeps the paint from chipping.
- Cut a ribbon that is about 4 inches long, fold it in half to create a loop, and glue it onto the back of the ornament.
- After the glue dries, hang the ornament on your Christmas tree.
Any little Sesame Street fan is sure to love creating and decorating the Christmas tree with these Elmo and Cookie Monster Salt Dough Ornaments.