Word families or “chunks” are words that have the same ending pattern or chunk such as “bat,” “cat,” and “mat.” It is important for children to learn word families, so they can easily recognize letter patterns, decode words, spell, and read fluently.
One of our favorite learning activities when we are learning new words is to form words with magnetic letters. Today, we practiced -at words in this Word Family Magnet Learning Activity.
Supplies for Word Family Magnet Learning Activity:
- Letter Magnets
- Magnetic Board
- -at Word Family Printable (Click on the link to print)
- Writing Utensil
Directions for Word Family Magnet Learning Activity:
- Place the magnetic letters on a magnetic board for the word family that your child is learning. We worked on the -at word family so I placed 5 sets of the letters “at” on the board.
- Place additional letters on the board. To challenge your child, pick letters that will not form words.
- Have your child place letters in front of the word families to form words.
- Have your children read the words and identify the word family.
Extend The Learning:
- Print the -at Word Family printable.
- Fill-in the missing letters to complete the -at word families.
Using magnetic letters like in this Word Family Magnet Learning Activity is a fun, hands-on way for children to learn new words, identify letter patterns, and much more.
You May Also Like These Learning Activities:
- Letter Sound Scavenger Hunt Using Blocks
- Sight Word Crayon Rubbing Activity
- Stamp It! Letter Sound Activity
- Hands-On Synonym Block Matching Game
- How Do Penguins Stay Dry? Penguin Feathers Science Experiment
Check Out These Other Learning Activities With Letter Magnets:
Magnetic Letter I Spy Game from Life Over C’s
Bird Magnetic Preschool Letter Activities from Learning 2 Walk
Spelling Sight Words with Magnetic Letters from Mom Inspired Life
Magnetic Letter Search & Find Sight Word Sensory Bin from Play Dough & Popsicles
Magnetic Letters Identification Spoons Handwriting Game from Sugar Aunts
Alphabet Magnets Beginning Sound Match from The Kindergarten Connection
Magnet Letters Connect the Dots Learning Activityfrom School Time Snippets
Word Family Magnet Learning Activity from Raising Little Superheroes
Magnetic Letters Spelling Sensory Bin from Something to Offer
Magnetic Letters Travel Game from Play & Learn Everyday