With Halloween just around the corner, my children have been so excited about all of the bat, ghost, and pumpkin crafts and activities that we have been creating over the past few weeks. We decided that we needed to add a spider to our collection of Halloween crafts for kids, so we made an Itsy Bitsy Spider Paper Plate Craft today. First, we read the book The Itsy-Bitsy Spider by Jeanette Winter and taught my toddler the lyrics and hand gestures to the song. Then, we got to work creating our craft…
How To Make An Itsy Bitsy Spider Paper Plate Craft:
- Large Paper Plate
- Small Paper Plate
- Googly Eyes
- Pipe Cleaner
- Black Construction Paper
- Paint Brush
- Black Puffy Paint (Read the directions below to find out how to make your own puffy paint)
- Paint both the large paper plate and the small paper plate with the black puffy paint. To make your own puffy paint, mix 2 tablespoons of shaving cream and 2 tablespoons of white glue. Add 1/2 of a tablespoon of black tempera paint and mix the ingredients together.
- After the paint dries, glue the small paper plate onto the large paper plate.
- Glue the googly eyes onto the small paper plate.
- Cut about 3 inches off the pipe cleaner and bend it to form the spider’s mouth. Glue it onto the small paper plate.
- Cut the black construction paper into eight strips that are about 1 inch wide by 12 inches long (depending on the size of the construction paper that you use.)
- Accordion fold the strips of construction paper and glue them onto the large paper plate for the spider’s legs.
Hang the Itsy Bitsy Spider Paper Plate Craft for Kids in your house or on your front door for a fun and festive Halloween decoration this season.