Over the past few weeks, we have noticed a lot of birds in our backyard from Woodpeckers to Blue Jays. My children love to watch the birds, so we created these easy-to-make bird feeders for our new feathered friends. Bird watching and creating a Homemade Bird Feeder are simple and fun outdoor activities for kids.
Supplies for a Homemade Bird Feeder:
- Cookie Cutter
- Peanut Butter
- Plastic Knife or Spoon
- Paper Plate
- Bird Seed
- String or Yarn
How to make a Homemade Bird Feeder:
- Toast the bread in a toaster.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut a shape out of the bread. We used a flower shaped cookie cutter, but you can use any shape.
- Use a straw to poke a hole in the top of the bread for the string.
- Spread the peanut butter across the entire piece of bread. If your children are too young to use a plastic knife, place a spoonful of peanut butter on the bread and let them spread it out with a plastic spoon or their fingers.
- Spread the bird seed on a paper plate. Shake the plate from side to side so it is entirely covered with bird seed.
- Gently press the bread with the peanut butter side facing down onto the bird seed.
- Let the peanut butter and bird seed harden for about an hour.
- Put a string or piece of yarn through the hole and tie a knot at the end in order to hand it from a tree.
- Hang the bird feeder from a tree and enjoy bird watching!
My children loved making the Homemade Bird Feeder and the birds loved it too!